# Judge rejects Lexington man's claim that prosecutors retaliated for refusing to cooperate in federal witness murder case  
**Published:** 2026-05-20T13:00:00.000Z  
**Source:** [U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky](https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.kyed.110117/gov.uscourts.kyed.110117.254.0.pdf)  
**AI-generated:** yes (claude-opus-4-7)  
**Canonical:** https://feeds.lexingtonky.news/article/judge-rejects-waide-vindictive-prosecution-claim

A federal judge has refused to throw out an accessory-after-the-fact charge against an alleged Lexington gang member who claimed prosecutors targeted him only after he twice declined to cooperate in their investigation of a witness murder.

U.S. District Judge Gregory F. Van Tatenhove ruled Tuesday that Quincino Lamont Waide Jr. had not shown that prosecutors acted vindictively when they added him to a sweeping superseding indictment in November, more than a year after federal agents first confronted him about the killing of Kristopher Lewis.

Waide, 28, is accused of helping four co-defendants — Daquis Sharp, Jatiece Parks, William Dixon and Desmond Bellomy — get away from the scene of the Lewis murder and dispose of what court records call the &ldquo;murder vehicle.&rdquo; Prosecutors say all of the men are members of the Hot Boyz, a Lexington street gang.

Lewis was a federal witness expected to testify against Rollie Deshawn Lamar at his trial on narcotics trafficking and money laundering charges. According to the indictment, the men charged in his death were hired to kill him to prevent that testimony.

Waide is the only defendant charged with helping cover up the killing after the fact.

## A year of unanswered offers

The ruling lays out, in unusual detail, a year-long campaign by federal prosecutors to flip Waide into a cooperator — and his repeated refusal to play along.

Federal agents first questioned Waide on Aug. 14, 2024, in a meeting set up without his knowledge by his probation officer. The officer told him his name had surfaced in the Lewis homicide investigation and that text messages suggested he had been paid by Dixon — one of the alleged gunmen — on the day of the murder. The officer warned Waide he could be &ldquo;complicit to murder&rdquo; if he had been paid for any role. Waide denied involvement with the Hot Boyz, called them family friends, then asked for a lawyer. Questioning stopped.

The next month, the U.S. Attorney's Office sent Waide a target letter informing him the FBI was investigating allegations he had &ldquo;assisted in a homicide that occurred in Lexington, Kentucky in Fall 2023&rdquo; and had been paid for his help. The letter invited him to meet with prosecutors before a grand jury was convened. Waide did not respond.

In April 2025, Lexington police got a warrant to search Waide's phone in connection with the Lewis case and a separate October 2024 shooting. When officers arrived at his home, Waide ran inside, grabbing at his waistband as he went, court records say. He stayed inside for about 25 minutes before coming out. A subsequent search of the house turned up a firearm, ammunition and Waide's phone — which had been factory reset.

Days later, FBI and Lexington police detectives sat down with Waide again. They told him the government would seek the death penalty in the Lewis homicide case and that he was &ldquo;looking at life in prison or something higher&rdquo; if convicted. They showed him their evidence. He asked for a lawyer.

Federal prosecutors charged Waide in May 2025 with illegally possessing the firearm found in the house — he had two prior misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence that barred him from owning guns. He pleaded guilty to that charge and was sentenced in January to 15 months in prison.

While that case was still pending, Assistant U.S. Attorney correspondence shows the prosecutor twice reached out through Waide's lawyer asking him to come in for a proffer. In an August 2025 email, the prosecutor said cooperation would be &ldquo;almost exclusively to his benefit,&rdquo; that he likely would not be required to testify against anyone, and that if he was honest, she might recommend a time-served sentence on his gun charge. She added that if he cooperated, he might not be charged at all in the homicide case.

A few weeks later, the prosecutor emailed Waide's attorney again, saying a message had been passed to Waide to &ldquo;keep his mouth shut.&rdquo; She repeated the offer. Waide did not take it.

The original Lewis homicide indictment came down on Oct. 2, 2025. Waide was not on it. A superseding indictment returned a month later added him as the sole defendant on the accessory-after-the-fact count.

## The vindictive prosecution argument

Waide's defense team moved to dismiss the new charge, arguing the timing told the story: he refused to cooperate, and prosecutors punished him for it by piling on a charge that could send him to prison for years.

Vindictive prosecution is a narrow legal doctrine that bars the government from bringing additional charges against a defendant to punish them for exercising a constitutional right — such as the Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. To win that argument before trial, a defendant has to clear what one court called a &ldquo;nearly insurmountable&rdquo; bar.

Waide didn't clear it.

Van Tatenhove ruled that Waide had successfully invoked his right to remain silent at two points — the August 2024 meeting and the April 2025 interview — when he asked for a lawyer. But the judge said that on the later occasions, when the U.S. Attorney's Office reached out through counsel and Waide either declined or didn't respond, he had not explicitly invoked any Fifth Amendment protection.

Even setting that aside, the judge said, Waide could not show that prosecutors had enough at stake in his cooperation to suggest a retaliatory motive. The government indicted seven other defendants without his help, the judge noted, and the prosecutor herself had told Waide his testimony probably would not be needed.

&ldquo;It seems paradoxical to assert that a prosecutor's entire case or most valuable piece of evidence could be testimony or intelligence that they do not have,&rdquo; Van Tatenhove wrote.

## An &lsquo;innocuous explanation&rsquo;

The judge also rejected Waide's broader narrative that something was off about the prosecutor's conduct.

Looking at the same year of events from an outside perspective, Van Tatenhove wrote, a more ordinary explanation comes into focus: police were investigating Waide for his suspected role in the Lewis killing and an unrelated October 2024 shooting; while doing so, they found the gun he was barred from possessing; he pleaded guilty to that gun charge; and then a grand jury indicted him in the homicide case.

&ldquo;These events seemed &lsquo;connected&rsquo; because they are,&rdquo; the judge wrote. &ldquo;But the common thread that connects these events is not some nefarious prosecutorial motive, but rather, Waide's alleged and admitted involvement in multiple crimes.&rdquo;

He noted, too, that if prosecutors had really intended to punish Waide for refusing to talk, they likely would have charged him in the original October 2025 indictment — not waited another month.

## What's next

With the motion to dismiss denied, Waide remains charged alongside seven co-defendants in a case prosecutors have signaled they intend to take to trial as a death-penalty prosecution against at least some of the men. He has separately filed a motion to sever his case from the others, which the judge said he would set a briefing schedule on shortly.

Waide is currently serving the 15-month federal sentence on the firearm charge.

The case is being heard in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky in Lexington.

_An indictment is a formal accusation. Waide and his co-defendants are presumed innocent of the homicide-related charges unless and until proven guilty in a court of law._

## Sources

- [U.S. v. Waide et al. — order denying motion to dismiss for vindictive prosecution (E.D. Ky., via CourtListener / RECAP)](https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.kyed.110117/gov.uscourts.kyed.110117.254.0.pdf)
- [U.S. v. Waide et al. — full docket (CourtListener)](https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/gov.uscourts.kyed.110117/)
- [U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky](https://www.kyed.uscourts.gov/)

---

This article was drafted with AI assistance (claude-opus-4-7) and finalized for publication by The Lexington Times. Reporting is grounded in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky's order denying Quincino Lamont Waide Jr.'s motion to dismiss for vindictive prosecution in U.S. v. Waide et al., obtained from CourtListener / RECAP. All quoted material is taken directly from Judge Gregory F. Van Tatenhove's written order. The procedural and factual narrative of the year-long investigation, the proffer offers, and the superseding indictment are drawn from the same order. Waide and his co-defendants are presumed innocent of the homicide-related charges unless and until proven guilty.

